The eHealth Technical Committee (eHealthTC) sponsors papers, participates in organization of conferences, and promotes technical workshops on those aspects of communications that pertain to the innovation and development of eHealth. It stimulates interdisciplinary technical exchange, application of state of the art communications and related technologies to advance, improve ubiquitous healthcare access, mobile personalized health systems, connected smarthomes, medical situation-aware decision support systems, multimedia medical data searching, retrieving, delivery and collaboration across heterogeneous networks and data sources, personalized health information management, IoT for ehealth, healthcare cloud computing and networking, etc.. The committee also assumes the duty to nominate suitable candidates for ComSoc and IEEE awards, propose distinguished lecturer candidates, endorse deserving candidates for the election to IEEE Senior Member and Fellow grade, make contributions to standards in an organized form.
Purpose, Mission, vision, and Objectives.
eHealth TC focuses on ICT technologies and solutions for health management and healthcare applications that address the following two major trends for improving healthcare quality and efficiency of healthcare management:
- Using emerging Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to help reduce costs and improve healthcare quality
- Enable new e-health and healthcare applications over the Internet previously impossible or unaffordable.
- Healthcare trend toward consumer-empowerment and information-rich “Smart Care” and “Smart Living” with ubiquitous care access from anywhere, at anytime, by any authorized person(s) when needed.
- Ubiquitous personalized healthcare.
The initial focus areas and examples of topics of interest to this committee include:
- e-infrastructure for health and healthcare applications and collaboration
- Examples include multimedia health information network, trusted networks (QoS, security and privacy), interoperability, personal area network (Body Net), health information grid, ad-hoc sensor networks, etc.
- Net-centric health and healthcare applications
- Examples include Telemedicine, Personal Health System, etc.
- Net-centric healthcare management
- Examples include medical situation-aware decision support systems, multimedia medical data searching, retrieving, delivery and collaboration across heterogeneous data sources, etc.
- Consumer-centric healthcare and management
- ubiquitous medical access devices and systems (based on commercial mobile devices), personalized health information management, etc.